Top Replacement Fire Pit Spark Screens (2019)
If you’re like me, you appreciate the relaxation that sitting around a fire pit offers. Stray sparks can offset that peace of mind and turn your evening into a fiery mishap, causing injury (or worse!). Luckily, most new fire pits come equipped with fire pit spark screens, but oftentimes these are not as durable as the fire pits themselves. If you’re a wood-burning fire pit enthusiast like I am, you’ve went through the pain of losing your spark screen. Luckily, they’re simple and relatively cheap to replace. And lucky for you, I’ve found the best on the web.
Should I make a DIY spark screen?
When the screen mesh on the spark screen starts to give way from damage, a replacement is necessary for keeping you and your family safe. While you do have the option to make your own fire pit spark screen, correctly gauging the dimensions can be tricky and time intensive. Making sure that your fire pit is properly contained is extremely important for the safety of your family and home. Because of these reasons, the the DIY route has always left me a little uneasy.
Advantages of Purchasing a Spark Screen
Spark guards are also designed to complement the fire pit aesthetically. Making your own can result in a fire-pit accented by a homemade spark screen that looks out of place. Factoring in the importance of safety, time investment, and aesthetics, the best path for finding a replacement spark screen is to shop around for the perfect fit for your fire pit. However, the options online are overwhelming, so I have created a guide to narrow down the options and selected my favorite reliable replacement spark guards for each major size option.
What to Look for in a Fire Pit Spark Screen
Because safety from stray sparks should be the number one priority, I highly recommend taking a moment to measure your fire pit before ordering. A perfect fit is completely important, because it ensures that you and your loved ones are protected from any type of fire hazard. If the size is too small or too large, stray sparks can escape and put you at risk.
Accurately choosing the correct shape for your replacement spark screen is also key to making sure that your fire pit is as safe as possible (as well as visually pleasing). The most common shapes are either round or square, so make sure that the replacement spark screen matches the shape of your fire pit.
It sounds simple, but I can’t stress how important it is to make sure that the replacement spark screen looks good and works well visually with your fire pit. Oftentimes a fire pit is a focal point to your backyard, so it’s wise to make sure that you’re satisfied with the way that it looks. Some fire pit replacement screens are simple, while others are more ornate. Sometimes they can be several feet tall (which works well with larger backyards), and sometimes they only sit a little bit above the fire pit (great for cozier backyard areas).
Some replacement spark guards work differently than others. The most common are the old-reliable spark screens that you simply lift completely off the fire pit. Others permanently rest on the fire pit and are easily accessible so that you lift up on one side of the spark screen like the trunk of a car. It’s a good idea to figure out which works best for you.
The material of your fire pit spark screen is also an important factor to consider before ordering. There are several options when it comes to materials for the screen mesh, such as stainless steel, coated steel, and copper. The materials used can make a world of difference as to how your fire pit setup looks.
Our Recommendations for Fire Pit Spark Screen Replacements
After factoring in all of these elements with a strict emphasis on safety and aesthetic appeal, I am offering my suggestions for the best possible replacement fire pit spark screens. I have arranged my favorite options for each popular size. These are the safest spark screens that perform the best and have the right look that will make your fire pit area shine.
Best 36” Fire Pit Spark Screen
Also available in: 24”, 30”, and 40”
Sometimes the simplest option is the best option, which is why I recommend the Sunnydaze 36-inch replacement spark screen. While it lacks bells and whistles, this rustic spark guard really gets the job done.
- Stray embers are caught by the thick steel framed mesh which will keep your family and your home safe as you sit by the warmth of the fire.
- At 7.5 inches tall, there is ample room for the flames. The heavy-duty steel will remain sturdy atop the fire pit, even during strong gusts of wind.
- No assembly was required for this particular spark screen, which was a huge bonus.
- It was nice to be able to pull this directly from the box and place right on top of the fire pit.
The first thing I noticed was the quality and strength of the mesh, and how durable the screen felt. Sunndydaze Décor backs the product up with a 1-year manufacturers warranty. This is a pretty great testament to the reliability of the product.
Best 40” Fire Pit Spark Screen
This replacement spark screen will be a wonderful addition to your fire pit and will add a little extra personality to your backyard.
- The unique easy access screen adds another layer to your fire pit experience, as hinges allow half the dome mesh to slide up into the other half for quick, safe access to the fire pit.
- The heavy-duty spark screen is high quality and will certainly shield from any sparks that might flare up from the crackling fire.
- The steel-construction mesh design finished with high-temperature black paint gives off a fantastic aesthetic. It will really standout during your backyard gatherings.
While some assembly was required, it only had four pieces to put together, and only took a few minutes (which is infinitely easier than if you wanted to make your own replacement). It has proven to be extremely durable, as the high-temperature black paint can withstand heavy usage, and the strong screen mesh is the kind of quality material that should last for years. This replacement spark screen also comes with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Best 50” Fire Pit Spark Screen
Also available in 24”, 28”, 32”, 40”, and 50”
This 50” replacement spark screen is top tier as far as safety and aesthetic goes. With a sleek steel constructed mesh screen and a high-temperature black paint finish, this screen will accent your fire pit with a modern look.
- The easy folding design allows this circular spark screen to remain in place atop your fire pit while still granting you access.
- The mesh screen offers a strong sense of safety, catching any embers from the fire pit.
- The sturdy design even blocks embers from escaping on windy days, which offers a new level of protection for your loved ones.
- This was one of the best spark screens for safety reasons. Nothing at all seemed to escape the tall 19” dome, and it felt great knowing that my patio was well protected.
This is another fire pit that simply exudes quality, having an extremely sturdy build that will ensure longevity. Assembly is required, but the setup was simple, and only took around 20 minutes to set up (which is way quicker than making your own replacement screen!).
Best Dome-Shaped Fire Pit Spark Screen
Also available in 22”, 24”, 26”, 30”, 32”, and 36”
On cooler nights, higher flames can be a necessity. If you would like the extra warmth for a larger area, then a dome shaped replacement spark screen is perfect for your fire pit.
- This circular dome shaped spark guard sits 20” above your fire pit. It offers full protection from any stray embers, making sure to shield any guests that may be sitting around.
- The easy accessible lift has hinges, so that the spark screen can be lifted up without having to remove the entire screen off the fire pit.
This dome shaped replacement spark screen offers ample protection for your home and loved ones. It also has a sharp design sure to accentuate your backyard. The durable thick mesh is coated in a high-temperature black paint that gives off a modern look. Assembly is required, but setup only takes around 15-20 minutes. As an added bonus, the manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty for this model.
Best Square-Shaped Fire Pit Spark Screen
Also available in 24”, 36”, and 40”
I have spent the majority of this article discussing round and dome shaped replacement spark screens. But I just had to make sure to include an amazing screen for those out there who have a square fire pit. This effective and efficient spark screen is simple but perfect for any square pit.
- The mesh screen will perfectly catch any stray sparks that wander off.
- Super easy to assemble, containing all of the tools necessary to quickly put it together.
- If offers a rustic liftable design composed of heavy-duty black powder coated steel.
Why devote time and effort into making your own square screen replacement? This low-cost alternative is so easy to assemble and place upon your fire pit. The manufacturer is so certain that you’ll be satisfied that they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee and allow you to return for a full refund within the first 30 days if you aren’t satisfied. I highly recommend this replacement spark screen for anyone who has a square fire pit.
Best Stainless-Steel Fire Pit Spark Screen
A stainless-steel replacement spark screen just looks so sleek sitting on top of a fire pit.
- The hinge designed stainless-steel construction frame looks sharp.
- The quality of the stainless-steel woven mesh offers complete protection from sparks.
- This dome shaped screen also has an easy access door that lifts up. This allows you to feed wood into the fire pit without having to remove the entire screen.
The heavy-duty replacement spark screen is very high quality, offering unparalleled durability and the highest level of protection. This is the perfect addition to your backyard fire pit, and is super simple to setup. This saves you tons of time from the alternative of making your own replacement spark screen. Stainless-steel might not be the most common spark screen for fire pits, it’s true. But seeing this in person will make you question why it isn’t the standard.
Categorised in: Best Of